Written by Sandeep Singh | Updated: November 04, 2019 11:37 IST
Continuing their upmove for a seventh straight session, domestic stock markets jumped on Monday tracking gains in Asian peers, with the S&P BSE Sensex index hitting a new all-time high. The Sensex rose 318.18 points to touch 40,483.21 in late morning deals, surpassing its earlier high of 40,412.25 clocked last week. The broader NSE Nifty benchmark climbed to as high as 11,989.15 – up 98.55 points from the previous close – but was still 113.9 points away from its all-time high recorded in June this year.
Here are 10 things to know about the movement in the markets today:
- At 11:35 am, the Sensex traded 242.47 points – or 0.60 per cent – higher at 40,407.50 while the Nifty was up 89.95 points – or 0.76 per cent – at 11,980.55.
- JSW Steel, Infosys, Bharti Infratel, Tata Steel and Vedanta – trading between 4.08 per cent and 5.93 per cent higher – were the top percentage gainers on the 50-scrip index at the time.
- Gains in information technology, metal and select financial stocks pushed the markets higher, however losses in automobile and media shares limited the upside.
- Market breadth favoured gains, with 1,391 stocks trading higher on the BSE, 855 struggling in the negative zone and 160 remaining unchanged. On the NSE, 1,175 stocks advanced, 545 declined while 430 were flat.
- Infosys shares jumped as much as 6.47 per cent to Rs. 732.50 apiece on the BSE, after the country’s second largest IT company said it found no evidence to prove the allegations in a whistleblower letter from last month.
- Infosys, ICICI Bank, Bajaj Finance and Kotak Bank were the top contributors to the gain in Sensex, together accounting for a 204.1-point rise in the index.
- The Nifty Metal index – which gauges the behavious and performance of the metals and mining sector – jumped 3.84 per cent.
- The sector was led by gains in JSW Steel, Jindal Steel and Tata Steel, which rose 6.80 per cent, 6.53 per cent and 5.56 per cent respectively.
- Analysts say positive global cues amid easing concerns about world economic growth and upbeat corporate earnings back home boosted investor sentiment.
- In the past six consecutive sessions, the Sensex has added a total 1,144.64 points, marking a gain of 2.93 per cent, and the Nifty moved 308 points – or 2.66 per cent – higher.
Source: – https://www.ndtv.com/business/bse-sensex-today-sensex-soars-300-points-to-record-high-nifty-over-100-points-shy-of-all-time-high-2126876